Certainly not Jay Pathak. The 60 year old Indian-national set off on a bicycle tour of his home country and his gear is about as low-tech as it gets.
Homemade plastic panniers, a regular ‘ole bike and Jay is good to go. This inspirational retiree is having so much fun on his two-wheeled adventure of India that he’s already got plans to push on towards Europe.
Here’s what Jay has to say about his very first bicycle touring experience:
I left Pune Mon 6th Feb morning
Monday Traveled 50 km –at Palase– 1 st halt
Tuesday Traveled 15 km–at Dive–2nd halt
Wed traveled 56 km– at Nightane– 3rd halt
Thursday traveled 44 km–at Diveagar–4th halt
Stayed on Friday
Came back to Pune Sat morning by bus
1) Total Distance traveled= 171 kms
2) Max speed= 30kms/hr
3) Avg distance covered/day= 42.5 kms
4) Max distance covered/day= 56 kms
5) Bike= No problem
6) Threat/Fear= Night halt , Rough Road, Head on wind
7) Most tough part= Morba steep 11 kms climb
8) Most Pleasant part= Dongarwadi 15 kms from Nive
9) Most safe= Diveagar
10) Total Expenses= 912 Rs
11) Most frequent questions= * why u r traveling on bicycle * Why U R alone
* At this age why U want travel on bicycle?
12) Peoples curiosity= Sleeping bag, Stove, Bike comp, Wants a bicycle ride
Jay isn’t letting anything stop him from injecting a little adventure into his life. What’s holding you back?
Leave a comment and tell us about what inspired your first bike adventure or tell us about a bicycle tour in the works.